Friday, September 24, 2010

Third Day

From now on, every Thursday we will be able to spend about two hours over at the elementary. I was really excited to spend more time with the kids, but sadly they had a field trip so I was only with them until 9 am. Yesterday was kind of like a free day since they were getting ready to head out to the field trip. While the teacher graded and conferenced with some of the kids, others stayed in their seats and read. My teacher said if I wanted to I could read out loud to them while they waited. All of the kids were really excited about this, so we all headed to the reading area and they all gathered around me as I read. It felt awesome to have them all pay attention and be so interested in the story. Afterwards, the teacher made the kids reflect on what I had just read. I thought this was a really good idea to see their level of comprehension. I noticed that one little girl had said a bad word to another little girl, and the teacher took care of that immediately. She talked with the girl who had said the bad girl and explained how that was wrong and should apologize. Overall, the kids were very excited for the field trip and kinda restless but the teacher was able to keep them settled. It was an awesome day, my favorite part being reading to the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment