Friday, September 17, 2010

First Impressions

I was very nervous about meeting the kids and the teacher, but I was also excited. When I first entered the room, they all seem intrigued as to who I was. I felt a little less nervous and more excited at being able to get to know the kids and see how the teacher worked the classroom.The class that was assigned to me was a bilingual 2nd grade class. On my first day there, the teacher had the students rotate between three stations: writing, reading, and a combination of the two. I began at the reading station and was soon on the floor along side the students helping read through the difficult words. It was really exciting feeling like I was actually teaching something to the kids. As I rotated, I began to get a feel of how the class worked. For the most part everyone kept busy except two boys who kept getting distracted, but the teacher handled the situation quickly and they began to work. She also explained to me how there was a little girl who had just moved from Honduras and she was behind from the other kids as far as skills.Because of this, she needed a little more attention.I liked how when the teacher noticed the class getting loud, she would raise two fingers and remind them to use level two voices. Overall, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment