Friday, September 17, 2010

Teacher for a Day

On my second day at the elementary, the teacher I was assigned to shadow was absent. The subsitute didn't know any Spanish, which was a problem since the worksheets the kids were working on were completely in Spanish. When I arrrived, she asked me if I could walk around and guide those who had questions. I sort of took over the class. As soon as the kids saw me, they began to raise their hands and ask questions. I was really excited to be able to help them. I explained what the assignment was and attempted to keep their voices at a level two just as the teacher did. There was one little girl who had finished with her work and didn't want to read, but I was able to convince her and get her back on track. I really did feel like a teacher for a day. It was really exciting to know that I was making a small difference in their lives whenever they would get excited about overcoming a difficult word. I enjoy going over there every Thursday and getting a hands on expirience on what it would be like to be a teacher. My favorite part of the day was when I had to leave and the whole class stood up an ran to give me a hug. None of them wanted to let go! It was adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment