Friday, January 28, 2011

I was very excited walking in to my classroom yesterday. The kids as soon as they saw me greeted me enthusiastically. I will admit that at first I didn't think they would like me simply because they had another student for their class last semester. Yesterday also presented itself with how a teacher must accommodate with different challenges the day might bring. For example, my teacher relies heavily on the Active board. All of her flip charts and notes are on the system, but yesterday it decided to stop working. She tried for a few minutes to get it to work, but when she realized there was no use she directed the class in a different direction. Instead, she handed out copies of a text and the students began to read over it and paraphrase what they had read. As a teacher, it is good to introduce and use different technologies in the classroom, however, since it can also be very  unreliable it is good to plan for when things don't work out a certain way. I was most excited when I was able to work with two kids individually. These students fall behind the rest of the class. Their ability to read and write are not as high up. I worked with them and helped them get their thoughts in order by asking them to tell me things they had learned. Then I helped them write by sounding off whatever word they did not know how to write.Sometimes it was difficult for them, but I managed to keep them focus and try their best. It was  great knowing I was helping these two students be able to succeed in the classroom and that my teacher trusted me to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment