Friday, October 29, 2010

Conflict, what to do

Conflict resolution in a classroom is an important concept in any classroom. When conflict arises, it can hinder the performance of students and their ability to pay attention and absorb whatever information is being taught. There are many different ways of going about resolving any conflict, from seperating the conflicting students to effective communication. I believe that the best way to get a long term solution to conflict is being able to effectively communicate with one another. I've noticed that my teacher at Westwood immediately handles a problem. Sometimes the kids get a little fussy with each other and might be rude to one another. She will have them apoligize and get them to be nice. Once, this little girl said a bad word to another student. The student told the teacher, and she immediately talked with the litttle girl about how what she did was not very nice and she should apologize. After that, the problem was resolved. Luckily, in my classroom there has not been any major conflicts. Mostly, it is kids arguing over the activites provided such as the opportunity to use the Activeboard or books. My teacher is good about teaching them patience and sharing. Most of the kids in my class really get along with each other and rarely get into severe arguments. There is no problem with limited resources except for the Activeboard. There hasnt been a case in which my teacher has had to move kids around because they don't get along. My teacher is good about solving any small issue that arises. Overall, my class is well-behaved and their problems are typical 2nd grade problems, such as conflict over colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment