Monday, April 25, 2011

Last Thursday was a pretty relaxed day at the elementary. I got there and noticed there was a sub. The students were working on coloring an easter bunny. I was proud of how well behaved they were being. After a few minutes of coloring, my teacher had instructed for the sub to read them a story. We all headed to the reading rug and listened to the story. The sub, who had subsituted for that class before, made sure the students were interacting and asked them questions about the story to help them stay focus. Afterwards, there was a big math packet to work on. It seemed to be like a review, containing fractions, shapes, and adding and subtracting. I went around helping the students through the problems. Since I had to leave early, the day went by fast. When it was time to go, a little girl said that it would be hard to continue to do the packet without my help. This made me my day because I felt like I was actually helping the students in some way. I told her that they were able to do it and to have confidence. I can't believe we only have three days left to go to the elementary.

Tests are an effective way to evaluate a students knowledge. However, alternative assessments can also be effective and provide different means to get information across. Alternative assesments can have students think on a higher level of Bloom's Taxonomy. They can create different activities to prove that they have an understanding of the material. Also, alternative assessments allow for students to have a more hands on learning experience. Overall, alternative assessments provide a different route for a teacher to evaluate the level of knowlegde by the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment