Monday, November 15, 2010

Technology in the classroom

In today's society, technology plays a big role in daily routines. Exposing kids to technology at an early age will allow them to develop the kills they will need as they mature into the world. If I were to be teaching a second grade class, I would incorporate the use of netbooks and use educational websites in my lesson plans. For example, I would dedicate one day to working on their reading skills by using the website meegenius.com. This is a great interactive website in which they show a picture book and you switch pages by clicking on the arrows. What is great about this website is that reads to the student the story, so they are able to listen to the words and connect them with how they are written. I would have them listen to the story first and then have them read the story and answer comprehension questions. Another day, I would focus on their math skills. The website I would use is mathplayground.com. This website has interactive games all requiring the use of math skills to accomplish them. I feel that by making math fun the kids will have an easier time making connections and enjoy learning about it. Once they become familiar with math concepts such as addition and subtraction, I would give them worksheets  to apply what they've learned. Finally, incorporate different skills such as reading, math, and history, I would have them use tes.iboard.co.uk. This website has a variety of activities with different levels. The games are fun while still teaching kids different skills and abilities. By using this kind of technology, the learning is more hands-on and the kids are more apt to receiving the information given to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment